July 05, 2003

Fourth Right

We had a big Fourth of July yesterday. I got a much larger wood charcoal chimney, some mesquite charcoal, and a grill thermometer. Everything went smoothly. Well, at least it did after the mesquite got burning. For the first 10 minutes in the chimney, it released so much smoke that from the middle of our backyard, I couldn't see our back door. The neighbors came out to see if our house was on fire.

But it burned nicely, and there was plenty to make a good, hot fire for burgers. The first ones cooked in about 8-10 minutes flat with the grill open, but by the fourth batch (kind of a small grill, and I was keeping everything in the center), it was taking 15-20 minutes with the lid closed. Very tasty. If there had been another batch, I would've had to replenish the coals.

Later, we went to the big fireworks show. There are actually several shows all across the area, but this is the big one for our city. We went last year and kind of followed the crowd because it was (for me) in a different place than usual. We got good seats and had a good time, but getting out with nothing short of horrific. We were in traffic, parked, for about an hour. We must've been in the last lot they were letting out, just more or less at random (because we arrived plenty early).

Well, I swore after that fiasco I'd plan it better the next time. So this year we parked much closer to the main road and found a little park to sit in where a few dozen others were already seated. This was much closer to the fireworks than the main crowd. And there was even a cool breeze with some rain in the area, so it was a very pleasant night. The only drawback to this spot: no bathrooms. But we knew that going in, so the suffering was only mild, mostly on the part of my very pregnant sweetie.

After the show, we not only got out into the main traffic flow almost immediately, we were *home* in maybe 5-10 minutes longer from that spot than we would on any normal day. After the 90+ minute trip last year, it was a real relief. Michelle's mom got a real kick out of our big fireworks show, and I'm glad we dragged her along (because I know she was fearing the heat).

Posted by Observer at July 5, 2003 07:49 AM

Comments on entries can only be made in pop-up windows while those entries are still on the main index page. Sorry for the inconvenience this causes, but this blocks about 99.99% of the spam the blog receives.

Notice I am no longer the pregnant sweetie, I am the "VERY pregnant sweetie". I'm not sure if that's because of my due date or my SIZE. I'm sure for his sake he'll say due date. ha

Posted by: Felicity on July 5, 2003 02:07 PM

Due date, of course!

Nice cooking times on those burgers. This 4th, the grillmaster toasted the buns and cooked the final 1-2 minutes with cheese on top of it, it was truly wonderful. You toast the buns, or no?

Posted by: Polerand on July 5, 2003 04:35 PM

Yup he did toast some of them which were yummy!

Posted by: Felicity on July 5, 2003 06:27 PM